The Black Seminole Scouts
The Black Seminole Scouts (also known as the Seminole-Negro Indian Scouts or Seminole Scouts) contributed a crucial part in the Texas-Indian Wars. In the 1840s, they were mandated to relocate from Florida to the Indian Territory, and in 1850, migrated to Mexico. The Black Seminole Scouts’ Chief John Horse received a message from the United States Army in 1870, requesting his band to come back to the United States to enlist Indian Scouts, assuring that they will be granted land; however, this promise was never fulfilled.
On August 18th, the Seminole Scouts were officially recruited into service at Fort Duncan, Texas, and stayed there until July 1872, where they were moved to Fort Clark. Out of a troop of less than fifty men, not one of the Seminoles were killed or seriously injured during their time in service. Four of the Black Seminole Scouts received the Congressional Medal of Honor for their heroic service.
In 1914, the Scouts were disbanded and were enforced to leave Fort Clark and sought residence in Brackettville or elsewhere. Today, you can still find descendants of the Black Seminole Scouts living in Mexico, Texas, and various places around the United States. Every year, family, friends, and visitors reunite in Brackettville, Texas to commemorate the legacy of the Scouts.
Click to view official site